Tape Media Data Recovery
Recovery critical data from damaged or deteriorating magnetic tape media.
OvationData are one of the pioneers of data recovery from damaged and deteriorated tape and have been offering data recovery services which have to date successfully recovered data from over a million deteriorated or damaged tapes for organisations of all industries around the world.
The methodologies and procedures used by OvationData ensure that the media condition is preserved during the recovery process. The use of in-depth auditing, heat treatment, re-spooling, splicing and cleaning are represent a small portion of the ‘hands on’ data recovery process. Ovation data also support a large variety of the data encapsulation formats used to write data to tape media. Once the data has been recovered, it is delivered in an easily accessible format.
Common causes for tape media failure or data loss:
- Damage or peeling of the magnetic oxide layer.
- Stiction or sticky-friction damage..
- Media damage due to tape drive wear or malfunction.
- Creased, stretched or snapped tape media
- Corrupt or overwritten data headers.
- Cartridge damage due to misuse or poor transportation.
- Exposure to water, dirt, debris, mould or extreme temperatures.
- Media degradation due to age or poor storage conditions.