EDV: Electronic Data Vault
"EDV allows reliable data storage and quick access to your valuable and sensitive digital information assets”
OvationData’s Electronic Data Vault (EDV) enables companies to safeguard their valuable digital data by storing it onsite or offsite. Each system is designed to meet your individual needs. Data can be captured online, downloaded from physical media or created by programs such as OASIS (OvationData’s Asset Scanning and Information Storage system). Retrieval of data is virtually instantaneous via Ethernet, Modem, ISDN, DSL, T1, T3, Frame Relay or ATM Line.
Unlike other proprietary or industry specific systems, the OvationData EDV can store any type of data, including medical information, financial and legal records or oil and gas industry data. It is also flexible and can be scaled to fit your needs as they change. Small to medium sized companies can use a commercial EDV; larger firms can use a dedicated system with high speed data transfer via Intranet.
To protect the integrity of information, this EDV is located within a security controlled, air-conditioned, dedicated zone. A typical system contains a Sun Ultra server to control and process information. Data is stored online on a hard disk or near online through multiple combinations of media and devices, such as an Eliant Exabyte Drive/Library, a Quantum DLT 4000 Drive/Library, an IBM 3590 Drive/Library. an Sony DTF Drive/Library and /or a Hewlett-Packard Optical Disk Jukebox.
Benefits of EDV
- High-speed search and retrieval capability - the EDV is an active archival rather than a backup vault.
- Elimination of lost or misplaced information - Management studies indicate that up to 15% of all information gets misfiled, so it is not available when you need it. Even worse, when the typical business suffers a catastrophic loss of paper or business records, 75% of the time it goes out of business within a month. With an EDV, such a possibility is virtually nonexistent.
- Scalable and flexible unlimited storage capacity - increasing your EDV is as simple as adding another storage device. There is never a need to add expensive shelf space or construct a new storage facility.
- Seamless migration and updates of your physical digital database - as new technology or media becomes available, you simply add a new device to the EDV and migrate your current data onto the new media.
- Reduce hard copy storage expenses - those same management studies suggest that each office filing cabinet costs an average of $1200 annually to maintain. That includes floor space, filing time, materials and other miscellaneous expenses. By reducing your physical storage needs, an EDV can dramatically lower that expense.
- Significant saving on your hardware purchases - with an OvationData EDV, there is no need to buy countless suites of optical disk jukeboxes or tape libraries, and you enjoy obvious economies of scale.
- Security guaranteed - our specialized electronic signature generation software allows us to guarantee the authenticity of your data. As it enters the vault, each data set generates a signature based on its unique digital characteristics. When it is retrieved, the data goes through the same program on the customer’s computer, regenerating another signature. If the same unique signature occurs, then the data is 100% identical to the last bit of data.
For disaster protection, data can be backed up to multiple media. These are then distributed to various safe offsite locations.
OvationData has an exclusive worldwide policy through Lloyd’s of London to provide data reconstruction insurance. Other insurance companies and conventional of-site data centers typically offer only insurance for the data material value, i.e., the media itself. The difference between the two can be catastrophic to a business.
For more information about how an OvationData’s Electronic Data Vault can protect and manage your company’s valuable business records and other data, call OvationData and talk to us today.
Currently, Ovation Data Services, Inc. (ODS) operates an EDV to store information generated by the 58th District Court of The State of Texas. This ODS Electronic Data Vault was the first to receive legal acceptance from the Texas Supreme Court for digitally storing information. Court personnel and a network of more than 100 attorneys throughout the United States use this EDV to send a continual stream of information into the court and to retrieve it. Enquire